Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Week 4: Planet of the Apps



I know I am starting to sound repetitive, but it bears repeating...I am learning SO much.  ETEC 672 has gone beyond my expectations in terms of exposure.  Initially, I thought Dr. Bert, Reid, Ed, and Colleen were going to teach us maybe 10 tools, but the way they set up this class is so much more meaningful and increases coverage.  We're like a search team, spread out, on a mission to find the best tools.  I also like that they put the responsibility on us to research, learn, and teach.  Every time I create a demonstration, I learn more about the tools' functions and capabilities.  I am progressively getting better at maneuvering through Wix, iMovie, Pow Toon, and Google+.  I'm not officially enrolled in any of the programs--so perhaps I'm getting too excited over what is actually the norm--but if this class is an indication of the MEd and COLT curricula I'm eager to begin.  

Some of the tools that piqued my interest this past class are Pixlr, Visualize.me, Storybird, Pocket, and Edu 2.0.  Most of us are visual learners, so making use of infographics and all things visual will come in handy in the classroom.  Pictures are universal.  Pocket helps with storing online material for later offline access.  I like the idea that I can be disconnected and still have access to material (from online sources).  Edu 2.0 appealed to me because it's aesthetically pleasing and it's an alternative to EasyGradePro (Edline).  I can't wait to get back to school so I can share my new knowledge with my peers and my students.  Well, maybe I can wait.  I'm enjoying my break.

Also, I especially enjoyed working with Team Rhodium.  We met face-to-face--which was a much welcomed break from talking at a screen--on Sunday and laid the foundation for our team assignment.  The hard work we put in on Sunday really paid off.  Thank you, Team Rhodium.  It was a pleasure!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl!

    Thank you for your enthusiasm! I agree that this class has exceeded my original expectations of the amount of tools we would be exposed to. I can tell you that this class has provided me with the most opportunities to try new tools. Typically, the other classes have focused on several main tools, with lots of choice to incorporate others into individual and group projects. This also feels different, as it's such a short summer class.

    What a great opportunity to meet face-to-face with your team! Since I'm part of the on-campus cohort, I'm kind of missing that environment during this class. A group of us met weekly last semester to work on our various projects, which was super helpful and a great way to build community. When are you looking to start the MEd and COLT programs?

    Best of luck finishing this class!

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Rachel!! I am looking to start the MEd and COLT programs in the Fall. I'm a bit worried about the workload. If I get too stressed out and the work is too much for me to handle my plan is to use a personal day or personal days to de-stress. I have never had to take mental health days...and I hope I never will but who knows with a full-time job? I pray I'll be able to juggle everything in my life. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl,

    That is awesome that you are so enthusiastic about what you are learning! Yes, it seems like you would like to pursue a degree in this field :-)

    I know what you mean about finding it beneficial to meet face-to-face. I met with a group member for Assignment 3 and the Final Assignment, and I felt like we got things done much quicker than if we all worked individually. Even in online classes, having the opportunity to meet in person is still helpful!

    I think you would be very successful if you decided to pursue your degree in Educational Technology or actually...it's about to change to "Learning, Design, and Technology."

    Yes, the way they designed this class definitely opened up the flood gates for tech tools to pour forth!

    Thanks for sharing,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryl,

    I think you would be very successful if you decide to pursue your educational technology degree! You have wonderful enthusiasm for this subject.

    Yes, the instructor and TAs definitely designed this class in such a way that the floodgates of tech tools were opened and poured out. You are the second person whose posting included positive thoughts on EDU 2.0. I wonder if people will be switching over to this LMS in the near future. It seems, however, that some schools require instructors to use the LMS that their schools offers.

    Thank you for sharing,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl,

    I think you would be very successful if you decide to pursue your educational technology degree! You have wonderful enthusiasm for this subject.

    Yes, the instructor and TAs definitely designed this class in such a way that the floodgates of tech tools were opened and poured out. You are the second person whose posting included positive thoughts on EDU 2.0. I wonder if people will be switching over to this LMS in the near future. It seems, however, that some schools require instructors to use the LMS that their schools offers.

    Thank you for sharing,

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete