Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Week 5: I Am tAPPed Out!

Time flies when you're having fun!  It's hard to believe ETEC 672 is already in its final stage and we only have one more week in the course.  Hooray!  We're almost there!  I feel I've learned more than enough apps to last me through the entire school year.  My toolbox is filled to the brim, heavy with tech tools AND I've signed up for more sites than I can count on two hands!  Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration...but, really, I'm just about tAPPed out.  All that's left to do now is put it all into practice.  Application of these tools in an actual classroom will be the true test of my ability to effectively introduce and implement technology.  Also, thanks to this class, I'm an active user of Twitter.  I realize now how helpful it is in keeping the masses informed.  I get the latest news on educational technology, education research, proven strategies, and so on.  I'm learning so much from simply following people on Twitter that I'm wondering why I waited so long to sign up.  

This past Team Assignment really made clear to me the criteria for an effective technology tool.  An ideal tool, to me, should be the following:
1) Accessible
2) User-friendly (intuitive)
3) Versatile
4) Simple (nothing flashy and unnecessary)
A couple of tech tools that meet these criteria are EDpuzzle and PowToon; they would rate high according to my criteria.  EDpuzzle is not complicated at all.  It is what it is.  It's very straightforward and easy to use.  Same goes for PowToon.  Both of these tools can be used for any situation, for any course.  It can also be used for non-educational purposes like entertainment and humor.  Tech tools should make our jobs easier and less painful.  In my opinion, if a tool is extremely complex, it's not worth the trouble of learning it because it will be time-consuming and cause more stress.  The tools were so easy to learn that I did not have to immediately look up tutorials; the interface felt familiar and the navigation of it was natural.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    One thing I noticed is that my toolbox is never full. Tools get old fast in this field--some shutdown, some get replaced, some stop working. When they do, you chuck it out. I guess for tech tools you either delete the link or uninstall the program.

    When you have a chance, you should take a look at this site: http://etec602.wikispaces.com. This is a list of some of the tech tools other ETEC students have reviewed and compiled for one of the core classes. You'll get a chance to add to this list in the fall and you got a head start with this course.
    Best of luck!,
    Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Grant!
      Thank you so much for the link! I will definitely take a look at it :) Thank you for the luck. I just might need it. Aloha!
      Mahalo for your mana'o!
      Sincerely,
      Cheryl

      Delete